Kaylee is a five-year-old girl with quadriplegic cerebral palsy. She is not able to walk or move herself around, but she can use her legs to propel an adapted trike. She loves this and can enjoy a half-mile ride with her mom pushing to help out as needed. No insurance source will pay for the trike and it costs too much to buy out-of-pocket. What are the options?
There are many organizations that make needs and wishes like this one come true. If you are based in Northern California, these are some of the best known ones serving kids with disabilities. If you know of other resources, please make suggestions.
- Variety of Northern California
- Variety’s FREEDOM Program delivers vital life-changing equipment and services for mobility, independence and social inclusion to individual children and children’s organizations. Grants under the Freedom program are made to individual children and children’s organizations.
- CARE Program, a primary provider of essential funds often required by families of children with illness. The Fund supplies basic household and family expenses, such as food, electricity, telephone, rent bills, clothing, and toys, as well as helping during emergency situations such as unexpected travel expenses, special tutoring.
- Home Improvement Project (HIP) will re-modify homes for low-income homeowners and renters who have children with disabilities. Many families that Variety serves are living in structures that are not equipped to accommodate children with disabilities. HIPs will make an impact by providing necessary repairs for existing homeowners and renters. Our goal is to enable children and their families to live safely, independently and with dignity.
- Make a Wish. Make-A-Wish®Greater Bay Area is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that fulfills the wishes of children between the ages of 2 1/2 and 18 battling life-threatening medical conditions.
- A Special Wish Foundation A Special Wish Foundation, Inc., is a non-profit charitable organization dedicated to granting the wishes of children under the age of 21 and diagnosed as having a life-threatening disorder.
- Kid’s wish Network is a charitable organization dedicated to infusing hope, creating happy memories, and improving the quality of life for children having experienced life-altering situations.
- Sunshine Foundation Sunshine Foundation’s sole purpose is to answer the dreams of chronically ill, seriously ill, physically challenged and abused children ages three to eighteen, whose families cannot fulfill their requests due to financial strain that the child’s illness may cause.
- Do it for the Love Do It For The Love is a nonprofit wish-granting organization that brings people living with life-threatening illnesses, children with severe challenges, and wounded veterans to live concerts.
- Go fund Me Raise money for medical bills and expenses. Or raise money for something you need. Friends, family and kind people you have never met can contribute to your fund.